Our PR Guide is free to download and we hope that it helps your business!
1. What is Public Relations?
- Promoting your organisation by using free editorial space in the media
- Using print media, broadcast, and social media to spread key messages about your company
- It is NOT advertising – editorial is more credible and powerful
- Positive PR is good for your company
2. Why do it?
- Promote your organisation in a positive way
- Increase awareness and assist understanding of your organisation
- Attract new customers
- Retain existing customers
- Inform customers/non-customers of activities
- Think about your business objectives and reaching your goals
- PR coverage is free space, so you have less control
- No guarantee your story will run
- when you want it
- the way you want it
- in the media that you want it to appear in
- Stories must be tailored to the specific title
- Think carefully about what they might be interested in
4. Knowing your sector’s media
Get to know who is writing about your sector across:
- National and regional daily newspapers and online outlets – e.g. The Times, Daily Telegraph, Metro, Herald, Evening Times, Scotsman, Edinburgh Evening News, Scottish Business Insider
- Trade Media – research the titles and contacts that are writing specifically about your business
- Broadcast Radio & TV news and features – find out which correspondent is specific to your
5. Who are your target audiences?
Think about who you want to tell your story to:
- Decision Makers
- Public organisations
6. What do they want?
- National TV, radio, online – news stories that will impact on people’s lives, a first for the sector, job creation and investment, quirky product and people stories and charity initiatives.
- Trade publications want fresh facts that are related to your sector – is your company a trailblazer in the sector?
- Regional media/online –it’s all about the local angle e.g. Business creates the first…
- There’s lots of space to fill BUT the media receive up to ten times more stories than they can use. News is very competitive.
- Spoiler alert – let the media run your story before adding to your company’s social media channels.
7. What is news?
- Immediacy – it’s happening now…
- The angle – The first – The biggest
- Involves a celebrity or key industry figure
- Has human interest
- Is quirky / unusual
8. How can we help you?
If you want to have a chat about making the most of PR for your business, please get in touch email@example.com
Get in Touch
Contact us to find out how we can help you.